Liverpool playmaker Philippe Coutinho has reportedly handed in a transfer request after the club released a statement on Friday morning stating that he would be remaining at the club beyond the summer.
It's all kicking off in Merseyside. After continuous links with a switch to Barcelona, Friday morning saw Fenway Sports Group (Liverpool owners) release the following statement regarding Philippe Coutinho's future at the club:
"The club’s definitive stance is that no offers for Philippe will be considered and he will remain a member of Liverpool Football Club when the summer window closes."
But now, according to Sky Sports, the Brazilian has handed in a formal transfer request to leave the club - only two hours after the statement was released.
Understandably, a hectic ten minutes saw Twitter go into complete meltdown mode. However, reliable Liverpool sources have denied claims of Coutinho handing in a request - with, Melissa Reddy and James Pearce rubbishing Sky Sports' report:
I've been told it is "not true" that Phil Coutinho has handed in a transfer request#LFC— Melissa Reddy (@MelissaReddy_) 11 August 2017
#LFC adamant that they haven't received a transfer request from Philippe Coutinho— James Pearce (@JamesPearceEcho) August 11, 2017
Furthermore, chief football writer of the Independent Miguel Delaney has gone on to claim that Coutinho is "devastated" by what happened on Friday morning:
Not sure on transfer request but had been told this morning that Coutinho had been "devastated" and "on the floor" re the situation.— Miguel Delaney (@MiguelDelaney) August 11, 2017
Since Friday's statement, Barcelona have already been linked with a move for Tottenham's Christian Eriksen after giving up on Coutinho.
The Spurs playmaker is thought to be perfect for the Catalans given his style of play, and those at the Nou Camp believe he could be the long term replacement to Andres Iniesta - though it will prove difficult to prise him away from Tottenham.