Second-half goals from Divock Origi and Ben Woodburn gave Liverpool a 2-0 win over Leeds United in the EFL Cup on Tuesday night, as Jurgen Klopp's side made their way into the semi-finals.

Origi, for the second game in a row, calmed the Kop's nerves with a goal 15 minutes from time after studding in a beautifully weighted cross from Trent Alexander-Arnold, before cup debutant Woodburn added a second with an emphatic half-volley from inside the box to see them through to the semi-finals. 


The result means Liverpool find themselves in the hat for the next round which will be drawn tomorrow night. 

The Reds made eight changes to the side that beat Sunderland 2-0 ahead of the clash with Leeds, whereas the Championship side made four of their own from their 2-1 victory over Rotherham. 

The first half left very much to be desired from the Merseysiders, who struggled to break-down The Whites defence. United had the chance to grab an early lead when Simon Mignolet was called to the rescue to deny Hadi Sacko one-on-one after Alberto Moreno was caught out of position.

It was only due to the Yorkshireman's mishaps that allowed Liverpool in - particularly when a disastrous back-pass from substitute Kalvin Phillips; on for injured Eunan O'Kane, put team-mate Kyle Bartley under pressure. He got into a new catastrophic mix-up with goalkeeper Marco Silvestri. 

Emre Can couldn't however take advantage of the mistake and poked the ball wide of the post.

Leeds once again started the brightest and after the break could have taken the lead - but a superb long-range effort from Kemar Roofe struck the post, much to the joy of stranded goalkeeper Simon Mignolet. 


United continued to control the game and had two chances in quick succession when a brilliantly whipped in corner from Charlie Taylor found the head of Bartley, who should have done better unchallenged. 

Just one minute later Liverpool 'keeper Mignolet was called into action again after Alexander-Arnold gave the ball away to Ronaldo Vieira in a dangerous area who picked out Roofe but his shot was well smothered by the Belgian. 

After this The Reds tightened their grip on the game and could have been one up when Georginio Wijnaldum burst clear down the right and smashed the woodwork after beating an on-rushing Silvestri. 

It was moments later that Liverpool finally broke through. An inch-perfect ball into the six-yard box by youngster Alexander-Arnold from the right-hand side found Origi at the near post who tapped the ball past the Leeds goalkeeper with the underside of his boot. 

Just five minutes later 17-year-old Woodburn doubled Liverpool's lead lashing home from six yards out after the ball being squared by Wijnaldum - becoming the club's youngest ever goalscorer in the process.

In the night's other game, Hull City reached the semi-finals with a penalty shootout win over Newcastle United after a 1-1 draw AET.

Three missed penalties from Jonjo Shelvey, Dwight Gayle and Yoan Gouffran were ultimately costly in the Magpies' cup exit on Tuesday night.


The only notable moment of the first 90 minutes saw Hull City’s Dieumerci Mbokani sent off after pushing his head into Magpies' defender Jamaal Lascelles, but the game burst into life in extra-time.

There were just 77 seconds between Mohamed Diame’s opener - which came after a Gayle flick-on - that allowed the Senegalese striker to score against his old club. Robert Snodgrass reacted quickest to sloppy goalkeeping from Newcastle goalkeeper Matz Sels to equalise just seconds later, however. 

Hull City now advance alongside Liverpool to the next round of the EFL Cup, with the remaining quarter finals taking place tomorrow night.